Honoring individuals who have made outstanding contributions to California in the area of human relations and human rights.
Nomination deadline: March 31, 2014
Who is eligible?
Any individual or group who has made an outstanding contribution to a California community in the area of human relations or human rights may be nominated by a human relations organization in California.
What criteria will be used to select recipients of the award?
Persons selected for this award will have made an outstanding contribution to human relations or human rights in California. For example, by:
- Advocating for expanded rights in the areas of health, education, immigration, labor, justice, housing, employment, etc.
- Fostering mutual understanding and respect among peers or groups.
- Providing community conflict resolution services.
Awardees will be selected using the following criteria:
- Significance of the nominee’s contributions to human or civil rights in their community.
- Overall benefit to residents, particularly low-income, minority, women and other victims of discrimination.
- The level of voluntary work, or work over and above paid responsibilities.
An emphasis will be placed on seldom-recognized people, the “unsung heroes.”
Who will review the nominations and select the awardees?
The CAHRO Board of Directors.
When and where will the awards be presented?
At the CAHRO state training conference on Friday, April 25, 2014 in San Francisco, CA.
How do I submit a nomination?
E-mail a nomination that includes the nominee’s name, postal address, phone number and email address as well as your name, postal address, phone number and email. Limit nomination to one page Including:
- A summary of the nominee’s contributions in the area of human relations and/or human rights;
- A description the overall benefits that residents have received from the nominee’s efforts;
- An indication of how much of the work described was volunteer or over and above the nominee’s paid responsibilities;
- Authorization from an official representative of a human relations/rights organization in California;
- Limit one nomination per organization.
E-mail your nomination to: [email protected] by March 31, 2014.