Mobilizing to Protect Human Rights
Statewide Human Relations Conference
12505 Vista del Mar
Playa del Rey, CA 90293
December 14, 2018, 8 a.m. to 5:30 p.m.(registration begins at 7:30 a.m.)-
Please join the California Association of Human Relations Organizations (CAHRO)with the LA County Commission on Human Relations/Workforce Development, Aging and Community Services, the San Francisco Human Rights Commission, OC Human Relations, the California Conference for Equality and Justice, and CSU Northridge at our statewide conference: “MOBILIZING TO PROTECT HUMAN RIGHTS” on Friday, December 14, 2018. This day-long convening of human relations/human rights organizations will include keynote speaker journalist A.C. Thompson, four workshops, civil rights awards, and many opportunities to network statewide with other groups doing similar ground-breaking work.
- Keynote Speaker A.C. Thompson, ProPublica journalist and documentary film maker discussing what human relations commissions and other civil rights groups can do to strengthen their communities against hate.Thompson’s recent ProPublica films, in collaboration with Frontline, focus on the rise of white nationalist hate groups in America. “Documenting Hate: Charlottesville,” aired on PBS in August and is available online, and “Documenting Hate: New Nazis,” will air Tuesday, November 20.
- Workshop and plenary topics include:
- Developing Youth Leadership:
- Standing Up for the Human Rights of Immigrants
- Reversing the Rise in Hate and Bigotry
- Youth and Police Community Relations
- Not in Our Town Presentation
- Presentations of legislative, state and law enforcement support to fight hate
- Spoken Word artist Sophie Kim
Registration: $125 general (includes CAHRO membership); $50 students ($150/$60 at door)